Richard S. Dickson
- I. Introduction
- A. In our time together, how many have been distracted by thoughts of:
- 1. This afternoon.
- 2. This past week.
- 3. This coming week.
- B. Hijacked
- 1. The pilot is going to one destination, and
- 2. An unauthorized individual diverts the plane.
- C. Read Mark 9:30-35 and pray.
- II. Jesus teaching His disciples (v. 30-31)
- A. Away from the crowd (v. 30)
- B. The Gospel (v. 31) - see 1 Corinthians 15:1-8
- III. The disciples were hijacked by their: (v. 32-34)
- A. Failure to understand (v. 32)
- B. Fear (v. 32)
- C. Selfish ambition (v. 33-34)
- IV. The solution is found in Servanthood (v. 35)
- A. Reach out to the lowest (v. 36-37) - see Matthew 25:31-46, esp. v. 40
- B. Recognize that others who differ with you are with you (v. 38-41)
- C. Remove (with Radical Surgery) that which causes:
- 1. Others to stumble (v. 42)
- 2. You to stumble (v. 43-48)
- D. Realize that persecution will come (v. 49)
- E. Reclaim your world (v. 50) - see Matthew 5:13
- F. Reside in peace with others (v. 50) - see Romans 12:18
- V. Conclusion: Don’t be hijacked
- A. Jesus became a servant - see Philippians 2:7
- 1. To save the lost
- 2. To set the example
- B. Respond to Jesus today
- 1. Salvation
- 2. Servanthood
Return to Top of Page
Return to Sermon Index