The Good News
1 Corinthians 15:1-4
Richard S. Dickson
Opening: What are items of good news found in the newspaper, on television, etc.? (Responses)
(Get a piece of paper, skip a portion for the title.)
In a moment the good news, but first the bad!
- For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23
- Sin is variously described as rebellion against God, rejection of God, stepping over the line, etc.
- Here sin is missing the mark.
- Bull's eye - described
- Jesus shoots and hits the bull's eye dead center
- We shoot and completely miss the target.
- The wages of sin is death. Romans 6:23a
- wages - earnings
- death - separation
("the sould that sinneth, it shall die" Ezekial 18:4,20)
- But the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23b
- gift - unearned, undeserved
- eternal life (opposite of death)
Now there is a problem:
God who is holy and just must punsh our sin, but
God who is loving and merciful desires to give eternal life.
- But God commendeth His love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ dies for us. Romans 5:8
- even in our sin - we don't have to get right first
- demonstration of love
- hug, kiss, etc - do it now to a loved one - that's easy
- real demonstation of love - this is harder
- the length you are willing to go to demonstrate love
- what you are willing to give up for love
- willing to become like us
- willing to give up His life (Philippians 2)
Appropriation or Receiving of the Solution
The goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance. Romans 2:4
repent of sin - turn from sin, turn to God
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:9-10
- sense of public profession - Matthew 10:32
- not just facts
- receive - John 1:12
- be persuaded of - place full trust and confidence in all that is implied by resurrection
- Jesus as Son of God - Romans 1:4
- Jesus death for our sins
- Jesus ability to save us and raise us up to eternal life (hope)
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Romans 10:13
- whosoever - John 6:37
- call upon
- a heart matter - trust
- prayer helps solidify the response
The Sinner's Prayer:
Father, I am a sinner, please forgive me of my sin, I now receive Jesus as my Savior and Lord, thank you for saving me and giving me the gift of eternal life.
Conclusion: relate to 1 Corinthians 15:1-4
- If you don't know Jesus, you have now heard The Good News - now the responsibility is yours to respond.
- If you know Jesus, thank God for what He has done for you, and at the top of your sheet of paper write: The Roman Road to Salvation - now you have a plan for sharing The Good News with others.
Return to Top of Page
Return to Sermon Index